Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Faceshop Make Me Star Waterproof Gel Liner

Good Sunday folks! I'm back with the eyeliner I raved about... 2 weeks ago. I know, I'm extremely late. Sorry to keep you waiting! Seems to be a bad habit of mine ):

Anyway, I have bought more of the liners to test out their consistency so here we go. I first stumbled upon the Faceshop Make Me Star Waterproof Gel Liner when I wandered into their store during a sale. It was a 20% sale then so I got the turquoise liner for just under SGD$10? This liner stayed in storage for quite a while because I couldn't bring myself to wear coloured eyeliner to work (scared of shocking my boss haha) but one day I got bored and finally did and I was so impressed!!!


Since I pass by a Faceshop outlet on the way home, I popped back in to swatch more colours and ended up getting the bronze and a lovely peach pink. These are definitely more expensive(almost double the price) in the Singapore Faceshop outlets than say buying them online from qoo10.com.sg so I would recommend testing them out in the outlet then purchasing them online if you can afford to wait. There's this lovely lovely olive colour but I felt the pinch...


Here's how they look like uncapped. As you can see, my poor turquoise is still hardly getting any love as it's not even sharpened. Though that is no indication of how well it performs since it's just what colours I wear on a daily basis.



All the colours also come with this smudger on the back end of the liner. It's for smudging out the liner before it sets for that "smokey eye look". I guess it does work though I prefer not to use it as the line is soft enough when drawn.


The reason why this collection is called Make Me Star is because all the liners come with sparkles/glitter. I guess if you read past the terrible english, these liners are supposed to sparkle like stars. They have a black liner in the collection which I did not like at all because of the glitter particles. I think blacks should be nice and deep and matte.

The brown on the other hand is this lovely intense rich brown with more of a metallic sheen than glitter particles. I fell in love with it the moment I swatched it. It is so much more than a normal matte brown because of it's intensity. It's the kind of brown that upon first glance looks matte but then you realise that there's more to it. Goes on so creamy and does not tug at eyelids at all. For those who love gel eyeliners for their consistency, this is even creamier than gel liners, and draws on soft without harsh lines. Only people who like liquid liners for their clean lines will not like this.

The turquoise is also of a metallic variety. It also does have very minute turquoise glitter particles in it as well but it's not that obvious. This also goes on extremely creamy and intense. The colour just pops. I imagine this would be for the more adventurous or party looks. Or could be a great summer look for just a pop of colour to the eyes.

Finally the peach. This liner is meant for the inner corner of the eyes to brighten them up. When I swatched this colour in the store I really really did like it and as I didn't have any liners that were of this variety I bought it immediately.  But when I came home and started to use it, I realised that this peach had irridescent glitter particles in it that are visible. For young skin, I imagine it to be fine but I have fine lines around my eyes and the glitter just gets caught in them. Another problem is that the peach pigment does not draw as intensely as the other 2 colours and does come off in patches. So in order to get a nice even colour I have to go over it quite a few times which is not too ideal as too much glitter gets on the skin.



This is a picture after I let the liner set (takes about 10-15seconds or so) and rubbed a finger very hard across all the liners. The brown and turquoise are true to their name of waterproof gel liner. These liners are hardcore man. I have gone to the gym, rubbed my eyes and they don't budge. No smudging, no transferring to under my eyes, stays on my waterline, these are godlike. Even using my favourite Bifesta Cleansing Express remover, the liner is hard to remove. Only people with extremely extremely oily lids will find that these do not stay on. I have oily lids for reference. 

The peach colour though is a very different story. I did have to colour on quite a large amount in order to get the colour of the liner to show so maybe that's why the smudging is so intense in the picture. On my eyes, the peach pigments tend to fade through the day, but the glitter particles remain!!! That really pisses me off. Though I'm glad that the glitter particles adhere to my skin so well and do not transfer, it looks very weird when there's only glitter on my eyes and no colour at all!


Peach on inner corner of eyes. It does catch light extremely well, no doubt good for photography. 


My all time favourite liner for the past 2 months. I've even ditched the K-palette 24h  liquid liner.


For a perk me up. I find that the turquoise does bring out the brown in my eyes... Not that anyone can tell haha.



These are all the colours available and I highly recommend these liners even if you're a matte colour lover, especially in the deeper colours and ESPECIALLLY the bronze. Get the more metallic shades (bronze, turquoise, olive; maybe the navy). They are a cinch to use and last all day. The only colours I would not recommend getting are the silver and the peach because I suspect they probably have the same formulation.
Get them!!!!

10 comments:

  1. The turquoise looks amazing!! I've been waiting for a liquid one in that shade, but I guess I'll just have to give in to these gel/pencil liners since they have more variety of colours, haha. XD Thank you for sharing such a great review! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does doesn't it! (: too bad I'm not as adventurous with colors haha. I think these pencils/gel pencils are more versatile than liquid liners because they can be smudged out and become eyeshadow bases or even worn as eyeshadow as well as draw a line!

      Delete
  2. how do i adjust the lid of these eyeshadow... i cant seem to find how!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I don't understand what you mean by adjusting the lid. These are sharpenable pencils.

      Delete
  3. Have you tried out holika holika jewelight eyeliner in pink? Is the formula the same for the peach here?

    I hated the pink cos of glitters when I first got it, but over time and prolonged usage found there's less glitter as the stick whittles down. Peach color looks so gorgeous am tempted to buy despite your warning. Sigh. Find that normal white/pink water liners don't last as long as normal ones usually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Nope I've never tried out the holika holika eyeliners. I actually think that the korean brand gel eyeliners are all of a similar consistency. I have swatched a Clio peach one before and it was the same problem, too much glitter.

      Don't buy if you don't like glitter because the glitter in the peach is definitely not small!

      Delete
  4. I have these eyeliners a long time ago and l bought the black, brown, blue & purple, they are AWESOME, they last the whole and l have to remove it with makeup remover, l love the glittering, l need to buy black & green since my sister took the black as she like it, l prefer the pencil eyeliner more than the gel type, l purchased liole & etude house ones too and will try it to see if they are as good as the face shop ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey that brown is like light brown or just dark?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I would consider it a milk chocolate brown. Not too dark a brown.

      Delete
  6. Are these sharpenable? Isn't the plastic body? Pls tell me whether I can use normal sharpener or not?

    ReplyDelete