Sunday, April 22, 2012

Shiseido Aqualabel White Liquid Foundation

I bought the Shiseido Aqualabel White Liquid Foundation spf23/pa++ on a whim. I could not find many reviews online at that time, but was desperately in need of a cheap foundation that hopefully would not affect my skin. So since Aqualabel is not only under the label of Shiseido, but also a skincare directed line more than cosmetic, I decided to just go for it. Also, it was on sale (haha), so I not only got the liquid version, I got the powder version as well. But today, I will be reviewing the liquid foundation. 


The first thing that will hit you upon seeing this tube is how very very small it looks. It is tiny!! For S$25.90 (if I'm not wrong), you get 25g of product. Shu Uemura has 27g, and the standard Mac is about 28g. So do not be deceived by its size, you are actually getting a really decent amount of product in minimal packaging. + points for being small so I can fit it into small bags without worrying how much space it's taking up.


As you can see it's a squeeze tube. And not one of those fake squeeze tubes that are actually hard. I really like it as it's easy to control how much product I dispense, and sanitary to boot. The product is more creamy than liquid, so it doesn't leak into the cover.


The labeling system for this foundation is as such:
BO - beige
PO - pink based
OC - ochre/yellow based
00,10,20,30 etc - the higher the number the darker the shade

I use OC20 though I think OC30 might be more suitable. The above swatch is with Mac Studio Fix Fluid NC30 on the left, and Aqualabel OC20 on the right. On my arm, the Aqualabel looks drastically lighter than the studio fix. But once blended out on the skin, it actually suits my skin tone. Though truth be told, I'm quite a bit fairer than I used to be, especially on my face (My arms are a lot darker than my face T_T). I'm in between NC25-NC30 now. So for people who are true NC25s, OC20 would be an excellent match.

The OC range looks very neutral beside the Mac, so I'm guessing it would suit pretty much most Asian skin tones whether they lean pink or yellow. I've read reviews that said that the PO range is very pink, so probably only Caucasians should get that.


The consistency of the foundation is more similar to those of the thicker korean BB creams, which I like. It blends easily and doesn't emphasize dry patches. This tends to dry quite fast, making it harder to blend, so work with one part of the face at a time.

As can be seen in the picture above, coverage is well above average. I only used the foundation in the pictures, no concealer, so you can see the strength of the coverage (Picture on right has additional mascara). It is not as good as the Shu Uemura Foundation I blogged about here, but pretty decent. I would say it's medium and buildable, too many layers might get cakey though. My favourite way to apply this is with my fingers or with a damp flat top brush.

It has decent spf of 23 which means that if you don't go out much during office hours you probably don't need a separate sunscreen. Dries to a nice matte finish, but it's not super matte. In fact it's quite natural looking, and once the oils of the face settle in, it really looks nice and slightly dewy. Don't see the need to powder. It doesn't feel like I'm wearing make up either.

Doesn't oxidize and lasts about 10 hours on me. Oil control is also quite good, given that I don't have to blot my face. Also hasn't broken me out which is a plus!

I can't say whether it has the same whitening properties as its skincare line, but I don't see new pigmentation spots forming, and I can't attribute any fading to this too as I use other products at night. However, why not have the extra protection all through the day right? Won't hurt.

I think this is a very versatile foundation even for people with problematic skin. People with good skin looking for a natural finish would like this too. I would've raved about this foundation when I first got it, but the excitement has worn off now, so thumbs up it is.


Summary:

Pros:
  • Asian line, formulated for Asian skin tones, hence availability of yellow based foundations
  • Creamy and easy to blend
  • Medium coverage
  • Doesn't oxidise
  • Has spf
  • Matte finish but still natural looking
  • Lasts all day
  • Good oil control
  • Doesn't break me out
  • Good and compact packaging

Cons:
  • Dries quite fast
  • Coverage not full for problem skin
  • Only 4 shades (i think)

No comments:

Post a Comment