Thursday, September 26, 2013

Acne Scarring Helpers


When my face freaked out and left me with a disgusting amount of scarring 3 months ago, I hauled my ass to the derm and was prescribed maximum strength products, both topical and oral. My scars faded some and the acne cleared up on most of my face except for my forehead. I'm freaking 24 and i should not have acne! Damn you, hormones! The oral medication was obviously not working (and to rub salt in the wound, made me gain weight) so I sought out a more holistic cure in liver supplements. I chose liver supplements over more typical acne supplements because all the signs of my health as well as where the acne appeared pointed to my liver not functioning too well. I am happy to say that 2 weeks into those supplements, I can see my forehead acne receding!!! Now I can get to work proper on the scarring.

First things first, I believe strongly that skin needs to be healthy in order for it to heal. That means that dehydrated skin or dry skin heals much slower and my skin was definitely dehydrated due to the derm's products. Though I followed her instructions on using the blemish cream less often, I still had dehydrated skin and she would not give me more advice. So again, I had to take matters into my own hands and added these products into my skincare regime.

1. L'oreal Youth Code Pre-Essence
After cleansing and toning, this should be the first product to be applied. Read my review here. This was a repurchase - I really love the way this feels on the skin, and how quickly it absorbs. The pre-essence really does boost the effects of the products used after and I will use this for as long as my skin reacts well to this.

2. Hada Labo Arbutin Whitening Lotion
I then put on this lotion for added hydration. I'm a long time user of the Hada Labo lotions (whether normal or whitening) and when I cut it out of my routine to use the derm's products, my skin really missed it. I'm using the arbutin lotion now for a scar-fading and hydration boost.

3. Morningstar Minerals Derma Boost Rejuvenating Spray Mist
After the lotion, which contains hyaluronic acid that absorbs water, I like to spray anything that has water content on my face. I mean, that is the point of the lotion right? I like the Renew Rosehip Toner, but I've since finished that and using the Derma Boost. It's very refreshing and I'm hoping to see better skin using this product.

4. Kitoko Kalani Super Aqua Gel
You're probably getting very sick of all the hydrating products, but I promise you, all these are extremely light on the skin. The Aqua Gel melts into a water on the skin, some patting and all of the product is just absorbed straight into the skin and you should be looking at extremely plumped up skin right now. I consider this the 'primed' skin for absorption of all other 'aiding' products and this is where I start to apply the brightening products given to me by my derm.

5. Hiruscar Post Acne
I have run out of the products (from my derm) that specifically targets the scars. They were also getting rather expensive for me to repurchase (~$100 a month!!!) so... I'm rather glad to say that Hiruscar is working for me, albeit quite slowly. The great thing is that Hiruscar absorbs into the skin and leaves no residue, even under makeup. It's also quite moisturizing! With this, I see the scars slowly evening out - while I say slowly, I find that the difference is evident each morning. Or maybe my eyes are just trying to trick me into being happier.

6. Clinique Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief
To seal it all off, I finish with the Clinique Moisture Surge to seal all the products in. I usually only use this at night, and only on dehydrated areas which for me are my forehead and cheeks. This is extremely hydrating, but also has a rather silicony finish which I'm not that big a fan of. It works though, which is what matters! This step is really not necessary unless you have really dehydrated skin or sleep in an extremely dry room.

So there you have it! My insanely long routine to keep my skin hydrated and in turn help my scars fade faster. If you're like me and much prefer water-based products over oil-based products, then layering is really the way to go! You have my word that all these products will feel like practically nothing on your skin. The only thing your skin will feel is super refreshed!

No comments:

Post a Comment