Friday, May 23, 2014

Diorshow Extase Mascara Review


While having some quality mother-daughter bonding time in the +66, I asked my mom what mascara she used. Some background about my mom - she doesn't wear eyeliner so a quality mascara is extremely important to her. Then I remembered that she had passed me this sample of the Dior Extase Mascara to let me try because she had bought loads to hoard.

Yes, this is the only mascara my mom has settled on to use pretty much for the rest of her life and has no intention of switching loyalties. Such fantastic attitude!

The mini tube is pretty much the exact same packaging and brush (sans the dior monogram print all over the tube) as the full sized and I actually prefer small sizes because let's face it - 3 months to completely use up a mascara is pretty much mission impossible.


The brush is a large bristley type brush, just the type I like. I don't like the plastic wands (like the covergirl lashblast) because I always seem to poke my eyes with them (and it hurts) but not with the bristle type wands. If you look closely, the wand is knobbly, like beads on a bar. I'm no professional so I have no idea what the different types/shapes of wands do.

What I really appreciate about this wand is that it has teeny tiny bristles on the very tip of the wand that allow me to coat my inner eye lashes using the wand vertically. This is very useful especially if you're like me and are not able to flip the wand around and still handle it well. Also useful for very short bottom lashes.

Curled lashes | One coat | Two coats | Thee coats

On to the only thing that matters. Performance. This mascara is not waterproof, but it's very definitely smudgeproof on me. Take that oily eye area! This lasts and lasts without migrating or flaking, even better than the waterproof and insanely hard to remove japanese mascaras I've tried. And it comes off easily with a water based remover or warm water. Consider me extremely impressed.

It delivers on both length and volume, though as you can see it tends to get rather clumpy by the time I've hit the third layer. Two layers is the bomb diggity. As I have decently long but uneven and sparse lashes, I really appreciate how the Dior Extase Mascara really amps up the volume, especially on the my outer lashes.

This is also one of those formulas that are not overly wet and get all over the place because you've blinked before the formula has dried. It also goes on the lashes in a very lash-like manner. By that I mean that unlike some formulas where it coats the lash and each lash comes out looking like a stick, the Dior Extase manages to coat the lash evenly so that it tapers and still looks like lashes.

One more point that I'm pretty sure bugs only me. You know how some formulas dry on the lashes like they've been on the lash for the entire day? I don't quite know how to describe this well, but I call them old looking lashes - it's almost like the formula turned powdery and just slightly ashy or grey. I absolutely hate those. Not with the Dior Extase Mascara! This formula stays black and fresh all day long. That alone gives me heart eyes.

The only downer about this mascara is that even though I've curled my lashes, upon application of this mascara it almost straightens out my curl. I consider this very strange because the formulation is not heavy or wet at all. Just a mystery I'll never solve I guess!

______________________________________________________


Pros:

  • Not waterproof but extremely smudgeproof even on oily lids
  • Lasts all day
  • Looks freshly applied and black all day long
  • Comes off easily with water-based makeup remover/warm water
  • Big on volume and length
  • Formula keeps lashes still looking like lashes (tapers out towards tip of lash)
  • Has bristles on tip of brush for easier application on inner lashes/bottom lashes

Cons:
  • Straightens out my curl
  • Not waterproof (not for wet eyes/sad days/sad movies)
  • Does clump ever so slightly (and on the third coat)


Conclusion: A all the way! 

No comments:

Post a Comment