Saturday, May 17, 2014

Top 5 Concealers + 1 dud


L-R: Benefit Fake Up in Medium, MUFE Full Cover Concealer in 7, NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in Custard, MAC ProLongwear in NC30, Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer in Medium (I think), Tarte Maracuja Creaseless Concealer in Light-Medium

Hello! I have made an impromptu trip to Bangkok, so the next few posts will be scheduled posts! Since I'm someone who has plenty to conceal, and with that, plenty of concealer, I thought a round up was in order. I apologize in advance for the majority of them being high end concealers, but I do find that with concealers you get what you pay for. So since coverage is one of my top concerns, the drugstore does not really cater to that - hence the high end concealers. I might be slightly biased towards liquid type concealers due to overall ease of use and blendability.

Best All-rounder - Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer (SGD$42)
The Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer is a concealer I tend to keep for special occasions, or for adding coverage on top of already done makeup before heading out the door. This has a thicker creamy and slightly sticky consistency. It provides instant photoshopping to any dark marks on the face, even if applied on after powder, which is probably one of the highest praises I can give. Also does not disappear on an oily face (unless of course you're one that touches your face).

Best for spots/dark marks - MUFE Full Cover Concealer (SGD$52)
What can I say, the MUFE Full Cover Concealer is high coverage indeed. It's all there in the name! The consistency of this concealer is definitely on the thick, creamy side and it goes on darker than it looks on the tube. Be warned, this sets to a budge-proof finish very quickly so quick blending will be your friend. I'm pretty certain that this is water-resistant, or if not, sweat resistant.

Best for large areas - MAC ProLongwear Concealer (SGD$30)
There were points in time I was literally using the MAC ProLongwear Concealer as foundation. The texture of this is very liquidy and thin, yet it still has extremely high coverage and blends well into the skin. 2 layers gives full coverage. I think the thin texture of the concealer has something to do with this concealer looking very natural (for such a high coverage product) on the skin. I've read some reviews that the MAC Prolongwear Concealer was extremely drying on the undereye area, but I've had no such problems myself.

Best for undereye - Tarte Maracuja Creaseless Concealer (SGD$39)
The Tarte Maracuja Creaseless Conconcealer is the concealer that not only has high pigmentation to colour correct my dark circles (of course, please choose the correct undertone), but also is a concealer that creases very very minimally. It's texture is really very much a sticky cream and it doesn't completely set so it has a sheeny reflective finish. I find that this texture helps it to adhere very well to the uneven surface and into the fine lines on the undereye area so that it doesn't crease or migrate, and keep the area well hydrated.

Best drugstore - Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer
The Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer is amongst the cheapest drugstore concealers I've tried and yet boasts the highest coverage of all the drugstore concealers. It actually reminds me of the NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in texture, however the coverage is definitely not as good. It also doesn't layer great - probably 2 layers max before it starts to look cakey. However, for the price paid, it definitely is the best.

Big Fat Dud - Benefit Fake Up
I dislike Benefit Fake Up so much I saw it as my duty to put it into this post so that you are warned. The concept itself is great, a twist up balm type concealer with a pigment centre core to give hydration and coverage at the same time. I really wanted to like this as the attraction of the ease of use was really great. The finish of Benefit Fake up is the same as the Tarte Maracuja Creaseless Concealer in that it never ever sets and has that reflective sheen, which ultimately makes it a mess. Application is a mess because the 2 parts (balm and pigment) never quite mix together evenly. Then because it doesn't set, it migrates in seconds. I've tried to use this on dark spots, undereyes, pretty much every part of the face, and each time it just seems to pool in areas of the face. The hydration part will work you think, but a big fat nope. The balm/oils in this product just sat as a disgusting layer of oiliness on my face. How about pigmentation you ask? Actually quite decent, but it migrates away from your spot anyway, so I would say - final answer, zero. Please don't waste your money on this product.

__________________________________________________


Hope everyone's having a good weekend! And if you have any good concealer recommendations for me, I'm all ears!

3 comments:

  1. Hello.
    I love this post.
    Nowadays, on the days that my skin behaves well, I just dab some concealer on under eyes, some spots over the face, lightly set with powder, then I am good to go.
    Hence I am always on look out for good concealer.
    I like collection lasting perfection too.
    Shade Light is very flattering on my under eyes. It brightens nicely and looks natural.
    Another I like revlon photoready concealer (stick form) and Za.
    But I feel Za oxidise on me on certain days, not sure why.
    Hope u have great time in bkk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello! thanks for the compliment and recommendations! I've tried the revlon concealer but still prefer liquid type concealers (: it's surprisingly creamy for a stick though. Maybe try a primer to stop oxidation? Or a setting spray those are awesome too!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete