Saturday, May 10, 2014

Tarte Maracuja Creaseless Concealer


The Tarte Maracuja Creaseless Concealer, best used with fingers or a dense sponge, gives great coverage and is true to its creaseless title. You can tell this is going to be a rave, can't you?

First off, packaging. Sturdily made, likin' the bamboo cap though it is a gimmick. But, no fingerprints so me likey. The tube packaging is the most sanitary way of packing, but is not the best for a product of this thick consistency. In other words, you/I gotta squeeze like a mofo just to get a tiny amount of product out of the thin nozzle.

L-R: MAC Studio Fix Fluid NC30, Tarte Maracuja Creaseless Concealer in Light Medium, Bobbi Brown Tinted Eye Brightener in Light to Medium Peach
I purchased the shade Light Medium after much deliberation with the intention of using it on my crazy dark circles. It definitely has peach undertones that does bring to mind the Bobbi Brown Corrector in Light Peach (I lost my Bobbi Brown Corrector in Light Peach so I can't compare for sure), so here's a shot that compares it with the Tinted Eye Brightener instead.

It is an extremely thick, almost creamy, quite sticky consistency (sounds like food doesn't it). It doesn't dry to a powdery finish like the Tinted Eye Brightener, but is more similar to the creamy finish of the Corrector. As you can see, it's rather oily and doesn't quite set. This is where I will tell you to press the Creaseless Concealer into your skin with a very dense sponge or your fingers. This way, the concealer gets into all the nooks and crannies (or fine lines) and fills them out. The stickiness of this concealer is what I guess allows it to last all day without creasing!

Try not to press it in with a wet sponge because the oil in the concealer causes the concealer not to work well with the sponge and not only will the concealer not blend out, you'll probably just take away any other foundation or makeup you have around your eyes.

It sits nicely over flakies (tried and tested I had the most terrible rash on my eyes that gave me flaky skin on the undereye) and doesn't emphasize them which was a nice surprise. My dry undereyes during that period of time also very much thanked the nourishing and hydrating formula of this concealer.

Probably better to set with powder to avoid transfer should you take to touching your eyes, but I find that setting isn't necessary.


Coverage isn't entirely full, though I must say that the Creaseless Concealer does manage to layer quite well. And if I might say so, it is still one of the highest coverage concealers I've used (comparable to MAC Prolongwear, MUFE Full Cover for me), and I'm a high coverage concealer freak. I'm not someone who goes for the entire highlighted V under the eyes (because honestly, just correcting my dark circles is a feat in itself, let alone going for a highlighted look) and I find this concealer does a good job at correcting the darkness with the peachy tone and because of it's rather reflective finish, subtly brighten the area.

Wear time is good, I could get through a workday with no touchups and minor fading. Should it crease on you, because face it, everything creases if you have fine lines, then just press away the crease and it'll look good as new!


So there you have it, my complete face (pardon the fat face, I have had some weight gain due to a number of reasons) and you can see that I still do have some slight shadows under my eyes, but keep in mind that my dark circles are really horrendous and this is one of the best concealers I've used for the darkness.

Oh, and an extra note - probably not the best concealer to use for raised zits, just because you don't want your zits to shine (like a diamond) and attract attention. But if you set with powder, then I don't see a problem.

________________________________________________


Cons:

  • Consistency a bad match for tube packaging
  • Oily/Creamy texture that never completely sets
  • Doesn't work well with damp sponge
  • Probably not the best concealer for bumpy zits


Pros:

  • Good peachy colour to cancel out darkness under the eyes
  • Sticky texture that allows it to settle invisibly in fine lines and not gather there and crease
  • Long wearing 
  • Has a reflective finish due to the oily texture that brightens the undereyes
  • Medium - almost full coverage, one of the highest coverage concealers I've used
  • Doesn't emphasize flakies but instead presses down on them
  • Extremely hydrating


Conclusion: This is definitely an A product in my books. My favourite attribute with this concealer is that it is indeed creaseless, something that no other concealer I have ever tried could do - not even with powder. Wish it were higher coverage and slightly more brightening, but this is as close as it gets!


4 comments:

  1. Hi, how would you rate it compare to Nars creamy concealer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello! that's a super tough question! Part of the reason why I really love the Tarte Concealer is cos it works so well for undereyes. However, if you can live with minimal creasing, the Nars creamy concealer is a better all round concealer.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the reply.. so tarte concealer is more resistant to crease? I tend to get little creasing along the under eyebags due to laughing or sneezing along the day..so is tarte should work better for me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be completely honest, I find that it doesn't matter what concealer I use, those creases happen anyway, it's just that with the tarte one it's to a much lesser extent and less obvious.

      Delete