Tuesday, October 1, 2013

September 2013 Favourites


Gosh, the months of this year are really flying away! It's so hard to believe it's October already, seemed like just yesterday it was July and we were so proud of ourselves for planning in advance for Halloween! It's really been a busy month, and I've seen myself using these products religiously!

Skincare wise, my skin has been absolutely loving the Queen Helene's Mint Julep Masque. I haven't had that oily skin for quite a while now, but this mask has not dried my skin out one bit. I love the refreshing feeling of slapping this mask on, and it really does the job in clearing out the excess sebum and gunk from the skin. My skin feels so soft when I wash this off too. In terms of performance over monetary value, this is definitely holy grail material.

I've also been mentioning the Kitoko Kalani  Super Aqua Gel to no end this month, so it's no surprise it's ended up in my monthly favourites. If you haven't read my past posts, this gel comes out a.. gel (wow big surprise) but upon spreading out on the skin, it turns into water droplets which are then absorbed by the skin. It's super moisturizing despite feeling like water (not even a serum!) and dries down to a nice matte finish. Skin is also smooth after because it does have a tiny amount of silicon in it (not obvious to feel though) and I find that it does calm skin down. I also like to use it on itchy areas of my body.

When I purchased the Kitoko Kalani Gel, the SA also recommended the Tsaio Herb Too Double Scrub Cleanser. I'm not the kind to stick religiously to any single cleanser because I haven't found the one yet, but I might've just found it in this cleanser. The scent is heavenly. It's probably just perfume, but I'm so addicted to the smell I actually look forward to using my cleanser day and night and after taking off my makeup. I've never smelt any other scent like this so I can't pinpoint what it smells like, but it's clean and herby and slightly citrusy. This cleanser is creamy with little pink spheres in it that gently scrub the skin. It's definitely a very gentle scrub and suitable for use everyday. After massaging it into the skin, upon adding more water, this cleanser foams up into micro-bubbles and washes off to leave the skin feeling ever so soft, yet not squeaky nor dry and taut. I can also vouch for its cleansing ability because my industrial strength toner doesn't remove any remnants after using this cleanser.

The Olay Regenerist Night Resurfacing Essence is something I don't use nightly as the name suggest, but I like to smother my face in this once in a while as a mask. It's not very strong, but I do find skin to feel substantially smoother and look brighter after washing it off.

My last skincare item is not really skincare, but it's this rather unique Chrisyl hairband that can be found only in Takashimaya. It's by no means cheap at SGD$10, but it's just about the most comfortable and secure hairband that I've ever used. When I use this hair band on my bangs, my bangs get a curl that is usually only achievable with tongs or blow drying with a round brush! Super useful for a lazy person like me. The Boy also liked this so much that he purchased one for himself because the teeth of the hairband leave a really nice effect on the hair when worn.

L-R: MAC Wonder-Woman Mineralize Skinfinish in Golden Lariat, MAC Sheen Supreme Lipstick in Tea Ceremony, NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in Custard, K-Palette 24Hr Real Lasting Eyeliner in Black
Make up wise, my routine has been simplifying itself as I just don't feel like too much makeup is appropriate for a school look. The NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in Custard hasn't been with me for a whole month, but it's definitely sticking around. I've been using this in place of any base and it's the best all rounder concealer I've had. It's got high coverage, is not too dry for the undereyes (MUFE Full Cover I'm looking at cha') yet not too hydrating to slip off blemishes. Major heart eyes for this concealer.

I used to think that the MAC Wonder-Woman Mineralize Skinfinish broke me out, but I recently pulled it out of hiding to give it another shot and my skin has not reacted. I think it's because I've gotten slightly fairer that this trio is working so well with my skin. I've been wearing the bronzer mixed with the blush on my cheeks everyday and absolutely loving how it's working with my skin tone now! I also use the highlighter and blush as an eyeshadow when I feel like getting a little more dressy.

Another surprise for me was that I'd been reaching for the MAC Sheen Supreme lipstick in Tea Ceremony as an everyday lipstick. This lipstick is a pinky brown colour and actually almost exactly the same colour as my lips. In fact, it has a little more brown in it than my lips. It doesn't sound great but it photographs quite a peachy brown and just pulls off any look with a bit more polish without being over the top. The vanilla scent of the MAC lipsticks is also irresistible!

I'm definitely an eyeliner girl, and I've ditched eyeliner in favour of mascaras but ever since getting my fringe cut, I've felt like my eyes needed more definition. I had thought that the K-Palette 24Hr Real Lasting Eyeliner I had was running out of ink, but after not using it for a month the ink seems to have come back in full force! This is the easiest eyeliner to work with, having a flexible brush tip. It's also very long lasting and my 2 sisters and I all can profess our love for this eyeliner. To complement the eyeliner with natural lashes, I've been opting for Majolica Majorca Lash King. My formula has dried since I first had it, but it's less clumpy than ever and adds so much length to my lashes that I cannot resist using it. No smudging or flaking and super long lashes, I couldn't ask for anything more!

So there's my lengthy monthly round up - what are your monthly favourites? I'm looking for a chemical exfoliant other than the Paula's Choice ones, any recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment